Translation: “The House” by José Ardila

Translated from the Spanish by MATTHEW SHORTER 

Story appears below in both Spanish and English. 

Translator’s Note

In common with the other tales in his Libro del tedio (The Book of Tedium), José Ardila performs in “The House” a kind of alchemy with his autobiography, taking inspiration in childhood events and feelings, but stripping them of their specificity to conjure an alternative reality in which the contours of the particular give way at once to the schematic clarity of myth and to the uncanniness of dream.

The story carries what seem to me unmistakeable echoes of One Hundred Years of Solitude both in the inexorable descent of its narrative arc and the subtle magical realism that inflects it, and reminders (the flood, the chaotic fecundity of the vegetation, the demotic rough and tumble of family relations and of course the gallows humour) of its Colombian setting. And yet, shorn of clear markers of time and place and (largely) of names, both the eponymous house and the anxieties of its unnamed narrator become universal.

Although both written and translated before the pandemic struck, the story’s resonance has been deepened for me by the dream that we have all been living through—it’s at once prophetic of a claustrophobic closing-in of boundaries and, in hindsight, exotic in the unthinkable social promiscuity that it limns.

Yet for all the paradoxes—set both in Colombia and nowhere; hiding much behind the deceptive frankness of what it discloses; reminding us both of lockdown and of our lost pre-pandemic reality—the surface of this story is direct, straightforward and entertaining. The main challenge of translation was a familiar one: how to honour the urgency and simplicity of tone without domesticating its otherness. And the rewards were also familiar—the almost guilty pleasure of inhabiting someone else’s story, recreating it and thus forming an intimate connection with another mind.

In Ardila’s own words, this is a story about the impossibility of communicating. About the silences that take root in families. About the things that are not said. And about the bizarre obligation to love our family simply because they are family.

—Matthew Shorter

The House

My mother sometimes talks about the times in the distant past when the house was not so tiny. She says the wind would slip in, who knows how, and prowl and moan for hours on end before finding a way out. And she whistles, trying to imitate the wind, and asks:

“Do you remember?”

And I say:

“Of course.”

And she says:

“Good for you.”

And we don’t say another word to each other until the end of the next day.

I don’t like talking about those distant times when the house was not so tiny. The memory stirs in me of striding around its endless expanses, and it seems so strange that, to keep my anger at bay, I prefer to believe we’re simply experiencing the aftertaste of a beautiful dream.

After my father’s death, the house became an inexhaustible mystery. Suddenly, these rooms that had been empty all our lives demanded exploration. And for a good long while my mother and I would adventure alone among dust and bugs and old trunks.

Then my grandmother came. She arrived on a visit one morning and decided to stay because it wasn’t healthy for my mother to live alone in such an enormous house.

“She’s not alone,” I said.

But my grandmother paid no heed.

She moved in little by little. She left and came back every so often with a new item of clothing or piece of furniture, and by the time I let myself notice what was happening, the house was completely colonised by her and her things.

“When’s she going?” I asked my mother.

“She’s not going,” she said.


“It’s not healthy for me to live alone in such an enormous house.”

“You’re not alone,” I said.

And my mother brought the coffee cup to her lips, fixed her eyes on the bottom of the cup and didn’t move until I changed the subject.

Two months later, my grandmother believed she had sufficient authority to bring in the first cat. Before two weeks had passed, she adopted the second, and before three weeks had passed, the third. In this way, within a year the house had been transformed into a thick tangle of meows.

When Aunt Doris saw how the matter of the cats had got out of hand, she decided that the time had come for her too to move in.

“You’re very old, mother,” she said to my grandmother, “And as for you Irma, just look at yourself in the mirror. It’s not possible for two women alone to cope with such an enormous house.”

“They’re not alone,” I said.

But Aunt Doris, who can be less sensitive than my grandmother, had no qualms about telling me off for sticking my nose into grown ups’ conversations.

The next day she pitched up with her three sons in tow, an enormous white rabbit she kept as a pet and a lorry full of all the paraphernalia of a well-off family.

Thanks to these moves, every room in the house turned into a collage of three different images. Here, a hundred-year-old piece of furniture inherited from my father’s family; there, a fuchsia armchair bought by Aunt Doris, and next to it, a seat with escaping stuffing that my grandmother refused to get rid of. The sitting room had acquired the appearance of a patchwork quilt. And my cousins set themselves to the task of destroying everything with relentless efficiency. Meanwhile, although Aunt Doris managed to prevent my grandmother from adopting another single cat, those that already lived in the house had begun to reproduce some time ago. You would hear the screams of mating, and several months later, the kittens would stroll through the house demanding their food rations.

Once Aunt Doris had fully installed herself it was no longer necessary to keep up appearances, and it fell to me, as always, to make the rounds for the cats. I left out their food, changed their water, carried away the dead animals and cleaned up the most visible messes. I ended up spending more time with the cats than on any other activity in my life, so that I began to feel something akin to affection for those animals. When I wasn’t with them, I dug myself into my room to read or write or move my bed from one side to another. December came with a succession of laughter and carolling that came from beyond the distant stairway. As far as possible, I avoided contact with those strange people. And sometimes, while I was busy with the cats, I found myself overhearing secret conversations between my mother, my grandmother and Aunt Doris about the loneliness suffered by a mother when she has to deal with a boy who does nothing but collect odds and ends.

I’d like to say that I hid in my room, but the truth is that no one was interested in looking for me.

All the same, everything was more or less calm until the winter of the following May. Rain swept away most of the houses on the bank of the river, and the families of four of my mother’s cousins found themselves without a roof over their heads from one moment to the next. So my mother, on my grandmother’s advice, threw open her doors and invited them to stay in our house until the situation improved.

The situation improved.

But of course, no one wanted to leave.

So Aunt Doris decided that the cats had become unsustainable. But as there were so many of them, and as they were such experts in the house’s nooks and crannies, she forbade me from feeding them so that they would find their own way out. I would have preferred to apply that strategy to my mother’s cousins instead of the cats, but there was nothing I could do against my aunt’s categorical orders.

“This house is too big,” said my mother. “What can I do all alone in such an enormous house?”

“But you’re not alone, damn it!” I said.

And my mother closed her eyes and I understood that she was pretending to be asleep.

But Aunt Doris’ strategy was mistaken. For one thing, I had sufficient reserves to feed the cats for two more weeks. And for another, ending the feeding wasn’t about to force the cats to leave. Aunt Doris knew little about the stubborn spirit of cats. The house was a great source of edible creatures – and in the worst case, the perfect lair to return to after a long night’s hunting.

One of the first victims was my aunt’s enormous white rabbit. I heard the cry of my cousin, the youngest. And then Aunt Doris’. And then my grandmother’s. And then my mother’s. And a hubbub of voices and things and meowing. The rabbit was so big that the most senior cats had organised a squad of six to hunt her. They tore her to pieces in one minute and disappeared unpunished into the house’s abundant dark corners.

Aunt Doris, broom in hand, declared perpetual all-out war from that precise moment. She organised her children, giving them precise instructions for battle. And my grandmother, energised but above all ashamed, became her principal ally in that struggle against those creatures, whom by now she considered demonic freaks. But it was so exhausting! And the cats were so numerous and so agile! And so embedded in that old house with so many possible ways out! A few days later, Aunt Doris was forced to conclude that there were more important things to deal with, and not having to feed them, from a certain perspective, she could believe that she had got her way. For her part, my grandmother, bored with having so much time on her hands, swore before God, the Virgin and the angels that she would die before falling into the sin of surrender.

Meanwhile, my mother’s cousins started to feel as comfortable in the house as in their own lands on the banks of the river. They began marking out territories. They said: “From here to here is mine. From there to there is yours.” And they shook hands. And they promised to respect the agreement they’d established. And they put up triplex walls to avoid any unnecessary encounters. And they arranged to plant all sorts of vegetables and edible plants in pots and crates.

I talked to my mother, I asked her to do something. I said:

“Do something, mother.”

“About what?” she said.

“About this… about this, damn it!”

“About what?” she said.

And I gave up after that.

The house was now a multiplicity of houses. From a certain point on the ground floor, its four levels had the appearance of a gigantic improvised birdcage. And in the sitting room, like tributaries converging in a river, the lives of its many denizens converged, because everyone had taken it upon themselves to leave some object there as a vital piece of evidence: a plastic cupboard, a broken table, a tower of the last decade’s newspapers, two hoes, an old mattress…

Thus the years passed, in a welter of meowing and good mornings and mating cats and parties and purring and laughter and good afternoons and saws in constant use and my grandmother’s war cries and good nights and hammers striking wood. Aunt Doris’ children and my mother’s cousins’ children grew up, married and brought their husbands and wives to live with them in the portions of the house that belonged to them by the devil knows what right. And the new couples had their own children. And the children competed from the first day of their lives with the meowing of the cats.

My mother’s cousins’ plantations outgrew their pots and spread across the walls like spider webs. They merged with the very structure of the house. From outside, it was like seeing an enormous rock covered with a dense foliage of tomatoes and cats and peas and squashes and cats and watermelons and passion fruit and cats…

With the territorial changes, my room got smaller and smaller, and at a certain point, I had no choice but to move in with my mother.

“You see?” I told her.

“See what?” she said.

And I decided it was best not to say anything more to her.

The question of territory had been weaving the fabric of a conflict of huge proportions, but furtively. Always latent in the intimacy of pre-dinner conversations, chance encounters in corridors, at the edge of the smallest provocation, the most innocuous incident, a gesture apparently like any other but which nevertheless might harbour in its kernel the detonator of the bomb.

For example:

A watermelon plant, seeking out the best light source, managed to climb from its pot on the second floor to the highest part of the house. In the time it took to grow, my grandmother killed a dozen new-born cats, someone lent a lighter to someone, my mother nearly died of pneumonia, Aunt Doris was driven out of her room by one of her sons, the lighter was loaned to a third man, my mother invited Aunt Doris to live in our room, the third man lent the lighter to a fourth and the fourth man lost it and found it again by sheer accident, saw that he had a good lighter in his hands and decided to keep it because no one else would be able to appreciate it as much as him. My mother tried to learn French and my grandmother told her she was stupid. My mother helped my grandmother kill a couple of cats. When the first man asked for his lighter back from the second, the watermelon plant was a third of the way to the roof. I’d let my beard grow and Aunt Doris said it was horrible and I said something like you’re a sad lonely old woman and no one says anything about that. My grandmother discovered cat loin in pepper sauce. When the fourth man denied for the sixth time to the third man that he’d ever received a lighter or anything like it from him, the watermelon began to germinate on the highest rafter of the house. My grandmother had broken a leg in the heat of the cat hunt, my mother decided that French was a stupid language anyway, Aunt Doris identified a daughter-in-law as the source of her woes and said to me: you’re just as sad and lonely, dickhead, but it took me too long to make the connection so I couldn’t come up with a fitting reply. One day, in the middle of the ground floor, the four men involved in the lighter situation confronted one another all at the same time. The first complained to the second, the second to the third and the third to the fourth. The fourth man burst into mocking laughter at such an absurd amount of fuss about a lighter. The second laughed shyly and the first hung his head in shame. And just when the first man was ready to leave things at that, the watermelon, under the force of its own weight, broke loose from the top of the house and crashed into the middle of the four. The insides of the watermelon splashed in all directions. And it activated some hidden mechanism, because almost by reflex the first man hit the second, the second kicked the fourth while he was defending himself against the first, and the fourth, seeing that the third was laughing his head off, bore down on him with hammering fists. A fifth man arrived to help the third, a sixth to help the second and a seventh to help the fourth. And after half an hour, the whole house was on the brink of war. Aunt Doris was pulling the hair of one of her daughters-in-law. Aunt Doris’ grandchildren started hurling tomatoes at my mother’s cousins’ grandchildren. I had a clear view of everything from my hiding place. My mother held her breath beside me. My mother’s cousins, meanwhile, in the ground floor living room, stared at each other, not moving a muscle and ready to tear each other apart at the slightest movement because it turned out that no one had respected the agreement they’d established. That’s how things were, and the fight could have lasted for weeks or months or years had it not been for the volume of that fortuitous cry that, despite the chaos, silenced everything in an instant.

It came from the depths of the second floor, like the first gust of a storm, and reached the furthest recesses of the house.

“Where’s mother?” asked Aunt Doris.

And we all looked at each other and set about looking for my grandmother without a moment’s delay.

When we found her, the cats, eighty more or less, had only just started looking for an escape route. They’d had time to eviscerate her at leisure. And my grandmother, who had by now become a few dozen mouthfuls for the cats, departed with them for good in all directions.

Thus the dispute was settled.

The fact that the oldest person in the house had died seemed to have meaning for everyone.

The centre of the living room was given over to honour what was left of my grandmother. A handsome coffin was bought, carved with floral images. The news was spread around the whole family, both close and distant. And in two days, the house was filled with more relatives mourning the death of the old woman.

There was a fraternal atmosphere. A deep exploration of our ties to one another. A new awakening, so to speak.

The visitors stayed for the wake, the burial and the novena. But of course, nobody wanted to leave.



La casa

A veces, mamá habla sobre tiempos muy lejanos cuando la casa no era tan chiquita. Dice que el viento se colaba no sé por dónde, que merodeaba y gemía durante horas antes de encontrar un escapadero. Y mamá silba tratando de imitar el viento y pregunta:


Y yo digo:


Y ella dice:

–Qué bueno.

Y no nos dirigimos la palabra hasta la noche del otro día.

No me gusta hablar de esos tiempos lejanos cuando la casa no era tan chiquita. Me viene esta sensación de poder recorrerla en miles de zancadas y, por lo extraña, para no morirme de la piedra, prefiero creer que se trata del coletazo de un sueño hermoso.

Después de la muerte de papá, la casa se convirtió en un misterio inacabable. De repente, esos cuartos vacíos de toda la vida demandaban que fueran explorados. Y por un buen tiempo fuimos solo mamá y yo en aquellas aventuras de polvo y bichos y baúles viejos. 

Entonces vino la abuela. Llegó de visita una mañana y decidió quedarse porque no era sano que mamá viviera sola en esta casa tan enorme. 

–No está sola –dije.

Pero a ella le importó un carajo. 

Se fue mudando de a poquitos. Iba y volvía con una prenda de ropa o un mueble distinto cada tanto y, cuando quise darme cuenta, la casa ya estaba plenamente colonizada por ella y por sus cosas.

–¿Cuándo se va? –le pregunté a mamá.

–No se va –dijo.

–¿Por qué?

–No es sano que viva sola en esta casa tan enorme.

–No estás sola –dije.

Y mamá pegó la taza del café a su boca, ancló sus ojos en el fondo de la taza y estuvo así hasta que yo cambié de tema. 

Dos meses después, la abuela creyó tener la suficiente autoridad para traer el primer gato. No pasaron quince días para que adoptara el segundo ni veinte para el tercero. Y así, al cabo de un año, la casa se había transformado en una densa maraña de maullidos. 

La tía Doris, al ver que el asunto de los gatos se había salido de control, decidió también que era hora de mudarse.

–Estás muy vieja, mamá –le dijo a la abuela–. Y vos, Irma, no es sino que te mirés en un espejo. No es posible que dos mujeres solas den abasto con esta casa tan enorme. 

–No están solas –dije. 

Pero la tía Doris, que puede ser menos discreta que la abuela, no tuvo ningún reparo en regañarme por meter la cucharada en conversaciones de mayores.

Al otro día, arrastró consigo a sus tres hijos, una enorme coneja blanca que tenía como mascota y un camión repleto con todas sus cosas de familia medio acomodada.

Debido a las mudanzas, cada estancia de la casa se convirtió en un collage de tres imágenes distintas. Aquí, un mueble centenario heredado de la familia de papá; allá, una poltrona fucsia comprada por la tía Doris y, a un lado, una silla con el relleno visible de la que la abuela se negaba a deshacerse. La sala de recibo, por ejemplo, había adquirido la apariencia de una colcha de retazos. Y mis primos se fueron encargando de estropear todo con una eficacia abrumadora. Entre tanto, si bien la tía Doris logró evitar que la abuela adoptara un gato más, los que habitaban la casa habían comenzado a reproducirse entre ellos desde hacía un tiempo. Uno oía el estrépito de apareamiento y meses después los gaticos se paseaban por la casa demandando sus raciones de comida. 

Una vez que la tía Doris se instaló completamente ya no fue necesario mantener las apariencias y yo debí volver a encargarme, como siempre, de hacer las rondas por las estaciones de los gatos. Dejaba el concentrado, cambiaba el agua, me llevaba los animales muertos y limpiaba las porquerías más visibles. Terminé pasando más tiempo con los gatos que en cualquier otra actividad de mi vida. De manera que algo cercano al cariño empecé a sentir por aquellos animales. Cuando no estaba con ellos, me atrincheraba en mi cuarto a leer o a escribir o a mover la cama de un lado a otro. Diciembre me llegó como una sucesión de risas y cánticos venidos de más allá de las lejanas escaleras. Evité en lo posible cualquier contacto con esa gente extraña. Y a veces, mientras me ocupaba de los gatos, debía oír las conversaciones secretas de mamá y la abuela y la tía Doris sobre la soledad que padece una madre cuando tiene que ocuparse de un muchacho que no hace más que apilar rarezas.

Me gusta decir que me ocultaba en mi habitación, pero lo cierto es que nadie estaba dispuesto a emprender la búsqueda. 

Sin embargo, todo estuvo más o menos tranquilo hasta el invierno de mayo siguiente. Las lluvias arrasaron con buena parte de las casas en la ribera del río, y las familias de cuatro primos de mamá se encontraron, de un momento a otro, sin un techo donde pasar la noche. Así que mamá, aconsejada por la abuela, abrió las puertas de la caridad y los invitó a quedarse en nuestra casa hasta que la situación mejorara. 

La situación mejoró.

Pero nadie quiso irse, desde luego.

Entonces a la tía Doris le pareció que los gatos se habían vuelto insostenibles. Pero, como eran tantos y tan hábiles en los vericuetos de la casa, prohibió que les diera de comer con el fin de que buscaran rumbo por su cuenta. Yo hubiera preferido aplicar esa estrategia con los primos de mamá en vez de con los gatos, pero no había nada que pudiera hacer contra las órdenes categóricas de mi tía.

–Esta casa es demasiado grande –dijo mamá–, ¿qué puedo hacer yo sola en esta casa tan enorme?

–Que no estás sola, ¡carajo!  –dije.

Y mamá cerró los ojos y comprendí que se había hecho la dormida.

Pero la estrategia de la tía Doris estaba equivocada. Por un lado, tenía las reservas suficientes para alimentar a los gatos por dos semanas más, y por otro, que se acabara el alimento no significaba que los gatos estuvieran obligados a marcharse. La tía Doris conocía poco del espíritu ranchado de los gatos. La casa era una gran fuente de bichos comestibles. Y en el peor de los casos, la guarida perfecta a la cual volver después de una extensa noche de cacería. 

Una de las primeras víctimas fue la enorme coneja blanca de mi tía. Oí el grito de mi primo, el menor. Y luego el de la tía Doris. Y el de la abuela. Y el de mamá. Y un estrépito de voces y cosas y maullidos. La coneja era tan grande, que los gatos más viejos organizaron una cuadrilla de seis para cazarla. La despedazaron en un minuto y se perdieron, impunes, en las múltiples oscuridades de la casa.

La tía Doris, con escoba en mano, les declaró la guerra frontal desde ese preciso momento y para siempre. Organizó a sus hijos. Les dio instrucciones precisas de batalla. Y la abuela, enérgica –pero sobre todo avergonzada–, se convirtió en la principal aliada en aquella lucha contra los que, para estas alturas, consideraba engendros demoníacos. ¡Pero era tan agotador!, ¡y eran tantos los gatos y tan ágiles!, ¡y tan enrevesada esta casa vieja con tantos posibles escapaderos!… En unos días, la tía se vio obligada a concluir que había cosas más importantes de qué ocuparse, y no teniendo que alimentarlos, desde cierta perspectiva, podía considerar que se había salido con la suya. La abuela, por su parte, aburrida con su mucho tiempo libre, juró ante Dios y la Virgen y los ángeles morir antes que caer en el pecado de rendirse. 

Paralelamente, los primos de mamá se fueron sintiendo tan cómodos en la casa como en sus propias tierras de las riberas del río. Pronto delimitaron territorios. Dijeron: De acá hasta acá es mío. De allá hasta allá es tuyo. Y se dieron las manos. Y prometieron respetar el acuerdo establecido. Y levantaron muros de triplex para evitar cualquier roce innecesario. Y se las arreglaron para sembrar en materas y cajones toda clase de hortalizas y plantas cosechables. 

Hablé con mamá, le pedí que hiciera algo. Le dije:

–Hacé algo, mamá.

–Con qué –dijo ella.

–Con esto… ¡Con esto, maldita sea! 

–¿Con qué? –dijo ella.

Y ya no quise insistirle más. 

La casa ahora era una multiplicidad de casas. Desde cierto punto en la primera planta, sus cuatro pisos tenían la apariencia de una gigantesca pajarera improvisada. Y en la sala de recibo, como los riachuelos en la corriente principal, venían a coincidir las vidas de todos sus muchos habitantes, porque cada quien se había encargado de dejar allí algún objeto como testimonio vital: un armario de plástico, una mesita coja, una torre de periódicos de la década pasada, dos azadones, un colchón viejo…

Así, los años transcurrieron en una barahúnda de maullidos y buenos días y gatos apareándose y fiestas y ronroneos y risas y buenas tardes y serruchos en constante actividad y gritos de guerra de la abuela y buenas noches y martillos azotando la madera. Los hijos de la tía Doris y los de los primos de mamá crecieron, se casaron y trajeron a vivir consigo a sus parejas en los lotes de casa que les correspondía sabrá el diablo por qué derecho. Y las nuevas parejas tuvieron sus propios hijos. Y los hijos compitieron desde el primer día de vida con los maullidos de los gatos.

Las plantaciones de los primos de mamá desbordaron las materas y se extendieron por los muros, como telarañas; se fundieron con la estructura misma de la casa. Desde afuera, era como ver una roca enorme densamente florecida de tomates y gatos y arvejas y ahuyamas y gatos y sandías y maracuyás y gatos…  

Mi cuarto, con los cambios territoriales, se fue haciendo cada vez más pequeño, y en algún momento no me quedó más remedio que mudarme con mamá.

–¿Ves? –le dije.

–¿Ver qué? –dijo ella.

Y decidí mejor ya no decirle nada. 

El asunto del territorio había ido tejiendo la urdimbre de un conflicto de grandes dimensiones, pero estaba solapado. Siempre latente en la intimidad de las conversaciones antes de la cena, en los encuentros fortuitos por los pasillos, en la frontera de cualquier provocación, la más insospechada tontería, un gesto en apariencia como cualquier otro que, sin embargo, podría albergar en su interior el detonante de la bomba.

Por ejemplo:

Una planta de sandía, buscando la mejor fuente de luz, se las arregló para trepar desde su matera en el segundo piso hasta la parte más alta de la casa. En el transcurso del tiempo que tomó su crecimiento, la abuela mató una decena de gatos recién nacidos, alguien le prestó un encendedor a alguien, mamá estuvo a punto de morir de pulmonía, la tía Doris fue echada de su cuarto por uno de sus hijos, el encendedor fue prestado a un tercer hombre, mamá invitó a la tía Doris a vivir en nuestra habitación, el tercer hombre le prestó el encendedor a un cuarto y este último lo perdió y lo encontró de nuevo por pura casualidad y pensó que era un buen encendedor el que tenía allí en sus manos y decidió quedárselo porque nadie más sabría apreciarlo de la misma forma. Mamá intentó aprender francés y la abuela le dijo estúpida. Mamá le ayudó a matar un par de gatos a la abuela. Cuando el primer hombre reclamó el encendedor al segundo, la planta de sandía llevaba un tercio de su recorrido al techo. Yo me había dejado la barba y la tía Doris dijo que estaba horrible y yo le respondí algo como que ah, sí, pues vos sos una vieja sola y nadie te dice nada. La abuela descubrió el lomo de gato a las tres pimientas. Cuando el cuarto hombre le negó por sexta vez al tercero haber recibido nunca un encendedor o cualquier cosa parecida de su parte, en el travesaño más alto de la casa la sandía ya empezaba a germinar. La abuela se había descompuesto una pierna en plena cacería de gatos, mamá decidió que siempre el francés era una lengua estúpida, la tía Doris identificó en una nuera a la culpable de sus desgracias, y me dijo: vos estás igual de solo, pendejo, pero yo tardé mucho en hacer la conexión así que no pude responder de forma adecuada. Un día, en el centro del primer piso, al mismo tiempo, los cuatro hombres involucrados en el enredo del encendedor se confrontaron entre sí. El primero le reclamó al segundo y el segundo al tercero y el tercero al cuarto. El cuarto hombre se burló a carcajadas de semejante lío tan absurdo por un encendedor. El segundo rio tímidamente y el primero agachó la cabeza, avergonzado. Y justo cuando el primer hombre estuvo dispuesto a dejar el asunto de ese tamaño, la sandía, obligada por su peso, se desprendió de la parte alta de la casa y se estrelló en medio de los cuatro. Y el interior de la sandía salpicó en todas direcciones. Y activó algún oculto mecanismo, porque el primer hombre golpeó al segundo casi por acto reflejo, el segundo pateó al cuarto mientras se defendía del primero, y el cuarto, al ver que el tercero se moría de la risa, se le fue encima y lo molió a trompadas. Un quinto llegó a ayudar al tercero, y un sexto al segundo y un séptimo al cuarto. Y al cabo de media hora, la casa en pleno estaba en pie de guerra. Tía Doris dejaba calva a una de sus nueras. Los nietos de la tía Doris agarraban a tomatazos a los nietos de los primos de mamá. Yo lo veía todo muy bien desde mi escondite. Mamá contenía el aliento a un lado mío. Los primos de mamá, entre tanto, en la sala del primer piso, se miraban con atención, quietos, dispuestos a despedazarse al más ligero movimiento porque resulta que ninguno había respetado el acuerdo establecido. Así las cosas, la pelea pudo haber durado semanas o meses o años de no haber sido por la fuerza de aquel grito providencial que, a pesar del caos, silenció todo en un instante.

Vino de las profundidades del tercer piso, como el primer ventarrón de la tormenta, y llenó el más lejano recoveco de la casa. 

–¿Dónde está mamá? –dijo la tía Doris.

Y todos nos miramos y nos volcamos sin pensarlo a la búsqueda de la abuela.

Cuando la hallamos, los gatos, unos ochenta mal contados, apenas empezaban a buscar por donde huir. Tuvieron tiempo suficiente para destriparla a su antojo. Y la abuela, hecha unas decenas de bocaditos de gato, se marchó con ellos para siempre en todas direcciones.

De esta manera quedó zanjada la disputa.

Nadie dijo una palabra en horas. 

Que acabara de morir la más vieja de la casa parecía tener un significado para todos.

Para honrar lo que quedaba de la abuela, se dispuso el lugar central de la sala de recibo. Se compró un ataúd bonito, tallado con imágenes florales. Se regó la noticia entre toda la familia, cercana y distante. Y en dos días, la casa estaba repleta de más familiares condolidos por la muerte de la vieja. 

Hubo un ambiente de fraternidad. Una exploración profunda de nuestros lazos. Un nuevo despertar, por decir algo. 

Los visitantes se quedarían para el velorio, el entierro y la novena, pero nadie quiso irse, desde luego.


José Ardila was born in Chigorodó, a village on the Colombian Caribbean coast. The name of the village, made up of two words from the Emberá language, means “Bamboo River,” but the truth is that the region’s bamboo has been completely replaced by banana since the end of the last century. He is the son of migrants from the country’s interior and of Black Caribbeans who travelled to the area during the banana boom. His accent and culture are the result of a more or less recent mix: Blacks from both Colombian coasts, indigenous people from Córdoba, and whites from the Andean region. The same is true of his stories: they are a mixture of all of this. He has published two books: Ramblings in the Belly of a Whale and The Book of Tedium, through Angosta, the publishing house established by renowned Colombian author Héctor Abad Faciolince.

Matthew Shorter has previously translated an essay-memoir by Héctor Abad Faciolince, The Poem in the Pocket, which was published online by Granta in spring 2019. As well as being a literary translator, he runs his own business as a digital strategist and is a jazz pianist and composer. Born in New York and raised in Edinburgh, he now lives in London with his Colombian wife and two sons.

Translation: “The House” by José Ardila

Related Posts

image of ribbons of all different colors in a row


Hu Tianbao waves to asphalt and sky. The bumper of his mother’s car has long since exited the drop-off zone, yet he still stands moving his arm in the building’s entrance doorway. Left right left right dawdles his hand. A farewell to punctuality. He’s alone.

Meadow with thunderclouds looming

Symphony of the South

My father headed north. He said he would be back in a month. It all happened so fast I barely caught it, like a migratory bird resting in a dark corner of the forest, like all the things that crowd my memory. No sooner do they appear than they vanish.

A church squats on an orange desert landscape.

The Day Azrael Committed Suicide

He glimpsed his mother’s face, which had departed some time ago: she smiled at him as she never had before; then she too melted into the last of the fine lines of smoke that crashed into the ceiling and vanished into the malfunctioning fan overrun by cobwebs.