The application window for this position is now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!
The Interviews Editor organizes and edits a monthly interview feature for The Common Online. (Examples of recent interviews can be found here or here.) Additional interviews may be coordinated by TC’s central editorial team, in consultation with the Interviews Editor. A biannual honorarium is available for this position.
Organize and edit interviews
- Develop a group of reliable and diverse interviewers
- Identify writers to be interviewed, ensuring a diverse and well-rounded group
- Pair interviewers with writers to be interviewed; the Interviews Editor may also conduct interviews
- Schedule interviews (1 per month) on The Common’s editorial calendar, in collaboration with interviewer and editorial team,
- Review and edit interviewers’ questions in advance, then edit completed interview for style, length, and flow
- Facilitate contract process for interviewers ($100/interview)
- Help promote published interviews
- Field offers and proposals from interviewers and writers
- Join editorial meetings via Zoom, three times per year
- As available and interested, contribute to other editorial/programmatic initiatives (e.g., editor Q&As for The Common’s Weekly Writes program; book recommendations for Friday Reads column; engagement with TC literary publishing interns; support outreach/marketing efforts for programming)
The Common is committed to building a diverse and inclusive staff and strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.