In 2010, The Common was born. It’s been a year full of adventure, enthusiasm, creativity, and big steps forward. Steps advancing our mission to publish the best sense-of-place literature, work that says: This Can Only Happen Here.
In 2010, The Common:
- Published Issue 00, including work by Mary Jo Salter, Ted Conover, Jim Shepard, Sabina Murray, Honor Moore, and many more of today’s best writers
- Achieved 501(c)3 tax-deductible status from the IRS
- Launched locally at Amherst College with a spring reading by Ted Conover
- Created magazine internships for Amherst College students
- Plunged into social media: interactive website with bimonthly blog, Facebook page, and Twitter feed
- Sponsored an Amherst College Family Weekend reading featuring Amity Gaige and creative writing students
- Showcased our wares at the Boston Book Festival
- Hosted lively literary evenings in New York and Boston with readings by Jim Shepard, Honor Moore, Margot Livesey, and Rafael Campo
- Established our Uncommon Friends group of valued supporters
- Accepted submissions from writers around the world
Be a part of the excitement and accomplishment of our first year: become a charter subscriber (just $20 for one year) and an Uncommon Friend (every donation helps). Your support makes this community-oriented literary venture possible. Please make your tax-deductible donation here today.