Why Teach The Common?
Teach The Common in your classroom and receive discounted subscriptions, a free desk copy, and lesson plans.
A classroom subscription includes two issues for every student, and an in-person or Skype visit from Editor in Chief Jennifer Acker or a participating author.
Supplementary materials for teaching Issue 08 are listed below.
Listen to Editor in Chief Jennifer Acker discuss The Common, the role of place in literature, and the editorial process.
Brian Sholis and S. Tremaine Nelson discuss the American West, beauty and destruction, and the similarities between fiction and photography. Sholis’s essay “Our Poor Perishable World” appears in Issue 08.
- Gerry LaFemina reads “Caged Bird Society” and “Heroin Chic.”
- Maceo J. Whitaker reads “Wordsworth in Poughkeepsie.”
- Larissa Shmailo reads “Phylum.”
- Elizabeth Metzger reads “Starving the Mustangs.”
- John Matthis reads “Postcolonial Chicken.”
- Sylvie Durbec reads “A Little Man” and the original French version of “Yes or Know?”
- Elizabeth Hazen reads “Burial At Shanidar.”
- R. A. Villanueva reads “Epithalamion, Memorial Day.”
Contributors in Conversation
See all of Issue 8.
Teach Issue 8